Department of Health

CAPS - Key Information

See the headings below for key information about the Continence Aids Payments Scheme (CAPS).

About the Continence Aids Payment Scheme (CAPS)

The Continence Aids Payment Scheme (CAPS) is an Australian Government scheme that provides a payment to eligible people to assist with some of the costs of their continence products.

CAPS payment amount

CAPS provides a payment to help you buy continence products from your choice of supplier or retailer.

  • If you are eligible for CAPS, your payment is paid from the day the Department of Human Services receives your application
  • The payment is indexed each year
  • The CAPS Payment for 2018-19 is up to $596.60

Visit the CAPS - Payment page for more information.

CAPS payment frequency

You can choose one full payment in July, or two half payments in July and January.

You do not need to produce receipts for the CAPS payment

You can use your payment to buy continence aids from any supplier or retailer you choose. You don’t need to save or show receipts.

How to direct CAPS payments to a supplier of your choice

You can nominate to have the payment made directly to a supplier of your choice who can assist you to purchase continence products. This must be authorised by you on the CAPS Application Form and cannot happen without your consent.

The Continence Foundation of Australia has a list of continence product suppliers you may find suitable, available on the Continence Foundation of Australia website.

CAPS eligibility

You may be eligible for CAPS if you are an Australian citizen or permanent resident 5 years of age or older and you have permanent and severe loss of bladder and/or bowel function caused by:


  • an eligible other conditions and you have a Centrelink or Department of Veterans’ Affairs Pensioner Concession Card, either as the primary card holder or as dependant of a card holder.
How to apply for CAPS

You need to complete a CAPS Application Form that includes a health report completed by your health professional certifying you:

A health professional can be, but isn’t limited to, any of the following:

  • General practitioner
  • Continence nurse
  • Registered nurse
  • Physiotherapist
  • Occupational therapist
  • Aboriginal Health Worker
  • Medical specialist
How to get a CAPS application form

To download an application form, visit the CAPS Application Form and Guidelines page.

To request a paper copy of the application form, contact National Mailing & Marketing by emailing or phone (02) 6269 1000.

Alternatively, you can call the Continence Helpline on 1800 33 00 66, Medicare on 132 011 or the CAPS Team on 1800 239 309 for a copy.

CAPS application processing time

How long it takes to process your application depends on completing and lodging it correctly. If all the information is received by the Department of Human Services (Medicare), your form will be processed and the payment made into the Australian bank account you nominated within 30 days. If your application is incomplete, you will be contacted for more information.

All forms must be lodged through the Department of Human Services. Submit your completed application form and supporting documents by post or in person.

Continence Aids Payment Scheme
Department of Human Services
GPO Box 9822

In person:
At your local Medicare service centre or at any other Department of Human Services service centre.

CAPS application results

If you’re eligible, the Department of Human Services (Medicare) will make a payment into the Australian bank account you nominated and send you a statement of the payment amount. If your application is incomplete, you will be contacted for more information. If you aren’t eligible, you will be advised in writing.

You can appeal any decision about your application. If you would like to talk about or appeal any decision, please call the CAPS Team on 1800 239 309.

How to speak to someone about CAPS

Department of Human Services – Medicare
To report a change in circumstance or inquire about CAPS payments contact:

General Enquiries 132 011

CAPS Team 1800 239 309

How to speak to someone about continence products or issues

National Continence Helpline

For free continence information, referral services and advice about continence products from a professional continence nurse contact the National Continence Helpline on 1800 330 066

Show all